PDA

View Full Version : Batten down the hatches

fatshark
06-12-2017, 08:28 PM
Storm Caroline is on the way ... it was a balmy 11C in my apiary at 7pm when I applied the winter treatment (sublimation), by head torch, in light rain and a stiffening breeze. Clusters were open so a good time for me to treat. Forecast here for the next 10 days is for freezing temperatures again.

Winds in the North West look particularly strong. Hope everything is tied down well.

greengumbo
07-12-2017, 11:03 AM
Storm Caroline is on the way ... it was a balmy 11C in my apiary at 7pm when I applied the winter treatment (sublimation), by head torch, in light rain and a stiffening breeze. Clusters were open so a good time for me to treat. Forecast here for the next 10 days is for freezing temperatures again.

Winds in the North West look particularly strong. Hope everything is tied down well.

So do I.

I did see some brightly coloured objects streaking through the air north of Aberdeen though FS. I swear one had abelo written on it.

fatshark
07-12-2017, 12:03 PM
That's because there's no bees in them ... I'm sure there were when they were delivered ;)

Amazing difference since yesterday ... colonies now clustered again when they were wandering around on the landing board in the dark yesterday evening. Temperature now plummeting. Quickly treating the last dozen or so with dribbled Api-Bioxal (yes, really!) rather than the Sublimox.

greengumbo
07-12-2017, 03:14 PM
dribbled Api-Bioxal

:rolleyes:

fatshark
07-12-2017, 07:02 PM

Oh ye of little faith ;)

That's a 350g packet :eek:

fatshark
07-12-2017, 07:12 PM
Same general subject ...

Has anyone noticed that the Trunk Road Gritter Tracker (http://scotgov.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=2de764a9303848ffb9a4cac0bd0b1aab) has names for individual gritting lorries? ... Gritallica, Sir Grits-a-Lot, Ready Spready Go and Gritty Gonzales etc.

Nice one ;)

Jon
07-12-2017, 10:55 PM
Can I propose 'How Grit Thou Art'

Jon
07-12-2017, 10:57 PM
Grit work if you can get it...

Better stop now.

Greengage
08-12-2017, 08:41 AM
Saw this on a British weather forecast ‘It’s wise to pack a ‘winter survival kit’ including a shovel, blanket, additional warm clothing, a torch, a flask with a warm drink and ensure your mobile phone is fully charged and consider letting your friends, family or colleagues know when you expect to arrive." Does it apply if you are traveling on the Bus...................

fatshark
08-12-2017, 09:59 AM
Don't be daft Greengage ... no point in telling friends and family when you expect to arrive as the bus will undoubtedly be late, or not arrive at all.

Take a shovel though. You never know when you'll need it.