PDA

View Full Version : Historic scotland

snimmo243
10-07-2014, 03:30 PM
Hi I know I said I was leaving, more on that later, I ve just heard that historic Scotland have set up an apiary within 100 yards or so of my apiary. I've only been told second hand via text but the beekeepers are from north Lanarkshire and they are putting buckfasts in! To add insult to injury they saw a swarm (probably mine) and just left it.
Am I right to be aggrieved?

Steven

HJBee
10-07-2014, 03:37 PM
I would be wanting a word with them at the very least!

gavin
11-07-2014, 08:07 AM
I would be wanting a word with them at the very least!

Me too. The words might go along the lines of .....

- are you aware that Buckfast hybrids with other types of bee can be problematic?
- have you properly considered the risks to other local beekeepers and indeed to your own staff and visitors especially when these bees requeen themselves?
- why, as a conservation organisation, are you not stipulating native bees?
- have you made any attempt to consult with local beekeepers?
- how have the suppliers of these bees demonstrated their competence to manage colonies over the longer term?
- how many staff do the suppliers have to manage the stocks they own and over what distances are they spread? Is it feasible to properly manage these stocks given the resources at their disposal?
- what measures do you have to mitigate effects on neighbours should the bees on your land swarm into neighbours' property?

Come to think of it, a very similar set of questions could be asked of any organisation buying into this current fad of paying someone to site honeybees on your land. But then maybe all beekeepers should be asking themselves the same questions ....

GRIZZLY
11-07-2014, 08:30 AM
Got the same problem - an unknown beek has set two hives within 400 yards of my black bees. I don't know who it is and other than leaving him/her a note on his hives will have difficulty preventing his colonies interacting with my own. I CAN SEE PROBLEMS FOR THE FUTURE IF HIS BEES CROSS WITH MINE.

HJBee
11-07-2014, 08:31 AM
Come to think of it, a very similar set of questions could be asked of any organisation buying into this current fad of paying someone to site honeybees on your land. But then maybe all beekeepers should be asking themselves the same questions ....

I agree, there is a growing interest and the worry it is a fad by those 'interested' in helping bees (and will want rid when bored or realise what goes with it) Also taken up by beekeepers willing to do anything for 40lb of honey.

snimmo243
11-07-2014, 06:10 PM
Well historic Scotland got back in touch, the guy was very dismissive of my concerns and said if there is an issue it is for beekeepers to sort out between themselves. He accepted no responsibility and basically said kelvin honey got untouched to ask if they could place bees on various sites and they said yes

lindsay s
11-07-2014, 10:37 PM
I agree, there is a growing interest and the worry it is a fad by those 'interested' in helping bees (and will want rid when bored or realise what goes with it)

Wait till Hive Alive is on BBC2 next week. The I want bees bandwagon will be well and truly overloaded! I also agree with all of the above posts.

crabbitdave
11-07-2014, 11:20 PM
Things always get worse before they get better, I meet people who are starting out saying their gonna make there full time living out of beekeeping and selling their honey if only it was that easy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

drumgerry
12-07-2014, 11:39 PM
Just posted a "disappointed to hear" message on HS's Facebook page here

https://www.facebook.com/visithistoricscotland?fref=ts

Head there and like/comment guys! Remains to be seen whether their admins will allow it to stay up. KVH are becoming a bit of a cancer it must be said. A strong statement but it's something I feel strongly about.

Neils
13-07-2014, 01:35 AM
Things always get worse before they get better, I meet people who are starting out saying their gonna make there full time living out of beekeeping and selling their honey if only it was that easy

Thankfully I started out for the enjoyment of it, even now I'd still just settle for the little buggers paying their own way :D

HJBee
13-07-2014, 08:21 AM
Thankfully I started out for the enjoyment of it, even now I'd still just settle for the little buggers paying their own way :D

Same here Neil, year 3 needs to result in at least enough honey to keep the better half in stores, the rent on the apiary paid, and contribute to the new hive needed for the Nuc.

Trog
13-07-2014, 10:45 AM
Can't find the post, Gerry - when was the HS subject to which you've replied posted? Or did you post direct to their page with your own message?

Little_John
13-07-2014, 11:42 AM

Not too many older, well-seasoned beekeepers driving around in Rolls-Royce's ...

... are there any ?

LJ

drumgerry
13-07-2014, 01:34 PM
I posted direct to their page Trog. The post is in a list on the left hand side of the HS Facebook page I linked to above.

crabbitdave
13-07-2014, 01:42 PM
John I tell beginners that honey is a bonus that it covers the some of the costs of this hobby, I made the comment as there's been beginners who taking it up thinking and telling people they can make money from it, then for them to just abandon there hives a year later when the novelty wares off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk