PDA

View Full Version : Moving hives

chrisjhodges
14-04-2014, 11:29 PM
Following on from an earlier post re OSR I am planning to move a few colonies but upon checking the distance as the "bee" flies is no more than 2 miles!!!
Is this too close?
What measures can be taken?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

snimmo243
15-04-2014, 05:25 AM
Hi Chris the usual advice is 3 miles, is there somewhere you could place them temporarily that is more than 3 miles from the OSR and your apiary?

Sent from my C5303 using Tapatalk

Neils
15-04-2014, 07:20 PM
A lot does depend on where you are moving them from/to. I've moved hives less than 3 miles as the bee flies and not had a problem as they were being moved from one area where they had lots of forage in very close proximity to another site where, again, there was plenty to keep them occupied close by. i.e. there was no reason for them to move any distance where there might therefore be a crossover to the old stomping ground from the new.

If you're still worried, you can keep the entrances blocked for another 24-48 hours, or stuff them with grass to delay them being able to get out and fly. Obviously they need sufficient ventilation (if they're on OMFs they should be fine) and food but after that they should then re-orient to their new location having, in theory at least, forgotten the old one.

Jon
15-04-2014, 09:00 PM
Leave one hive at the original site and that will pick up any bees which return.
Most of them will re-orientate if the move is 2 miles.

busybeephilip
01-05-2014, 02:58 PM
Hi Chris,
If you have not already moved them 2 miles will be ok