PDA

View Full Version : Oil Seed Rape

chrisjhodges
11-04-2014, 06:49 AM
Guys I have been offered a 20 acre field of osr to move some bees into.
How many strong colonies could that sustain?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jon
11-04-2014, 09:57 AM
At least 10, maybe a few more. I think I read somewhere 1 colony per 2 acres.
Might need to buy more supers!

chris
11-04-2014, 10:22 AM
The information I have states between 8 and 16 colonies for the traditional osr, and between16 and 25 for hybrid varieties.
This is from the farmer's point of view, i.e. for pollinating the crop.If you don't need to do this for him, then I'd go along with what Jon says. You can then see if you need more or less for next year.

chrisjhodges
11-04-2014, 10:51 AM
Thanks guys I have a shed full of supers!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wmfd
13-04-2014, 08:59 AM
I had a quick look around, and there does seem to be quite a difference between the numbers for full pollination and that for optimum honey.

I found this leaflet that talks about different stocking rates: http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0013/117112/bee-on-canoloa.pdf

They talk about some research showing best honey at a hive per two hectares, so that would be about 4 hives on the 20 acres.

In looking around I've variously found it referred to as Canadian and Australian research but not the original.

David

GRIZZLY
13-04-2014, 09:40 AM
In the "old" days we used to think a maximum of 4 colonies to the acre. I think the modern hybrid varieties don't yield as much nectar now so less per acre .I now think you could work on 2 colonies per acre. One thing is certain - you will never exploit the full potential of the crop with regard to honey. Last year we had 20 colonies on about 50 acres - I took 200lbs from my 4 colonies and could have had even more had I left them on to the end of the flowering but I needed them back to exploit the clover.

snimmo243
25-04-2014, 09:24 PM
Am I right in thinking osr pollen is a kind of creamy greeny colour or is it yella?

Sent from my C5303 using Tapatalk

gavin
25-04-2014, 10:11 PM
Always yella. Also on the face of the bee - you see some of that with willow but it is particularly noticeable with rape.

snimmo243
26-04-2014, 04:59 PM
Jeez I just got that book "a colour guide to pollen loads of the honey bee" by William Kirk and it shows osr as a greeny colour what a waste of money

Little_John
26-04-2014, 08:07 PM
There's quite a good pollen chart at:
http://www.romseybeekeepers.com/rdbka_p_pub_plant.php

snimmo243
26-04-2014, 08:25 PM
Thanks little John that's a good site, very similar to the Sheffield one I will cross reference these with the book, maybe the osr is just a misprint but still quite disappointing considering the hype around the book being in three languages due to its essential nature! Also it is published by IBRA

Little_John
27-04-2014, 07:07 AM
Well, seeing as pollen colour is the whole point of the book, I'd have thought that an email to the publishers would be in order - might get you a refund or a re-print - or at the very least a little sticker to place over the duff colour - bit like those that the UKHO supply to update Admiralty charts - or at least did, back in the days of paper ...

So - you've found one error - can you rely on the rest being accurate ?

"Disappointing" ? You're being too generous. If it were mine, I'd send it straight back.

'best.

Just discovered - this very OSR colour issue has been 'flagged-up' before:
http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/archive/index.php/t-23361.html