PDA

View Full Version : Foam entrance block

crabbitdave
06-04-2014, 08:42 PM
Hi all I bought foam entrance from Thornes for my hives, but for some reason one hives don't like it and been chewing it and throwing it out the hive, I first thought it was starvation but there fine for stores, does anybody know what might be there dislike for it http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/07/haje5ahu.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fatshark
06-04-2014, 08:45 PM
I suspect they're disturbed by the noise of the washing machine … ;)

That type of block is for stuffing into the entrance when transporting bees. Was it in for any length of time? If you want to reduce the entrance - for example when plagued by wasps - you should probably use a wood block.

crabbitdave
06-04-2014, 10:02 PM
Hi there I've put a timber one in, I just find the foam easy to use makes changing the entrance size easy and never had any bother with the foam ones before it's the first time I've bought extra ones Thornes and seams to be just this one hive that didn't like it, I do normally have there entrance to the right but my wife put that one to the left and I didn't think it would make any difference :/

Jon
06-04-2014, 10:31 PM
I have used foam like that to block the entrance and never had a problem with it.
no additional comments re. the washing machine! :D

drumgerry
07-04-2014, 02:06 PM
And by the way don't buy that foam from Thornes - total con. You can get a sheet of upholstery foam from ebay for a couple of quid and cut it up - gives you ten or more times the amount

crabbitdave
07-04-2014, 07:54 PM
Just found what has caused the mess in the hive, it was a dam mouse that made its way into the hive I only took the guards off the other week when the temps went up, I should have put them back on when the temp fell but I live and learn

snimmo243
07-04-2014, 08:17 PM
Did you get the moose!

Sent from my C5303 using Tapatalk