PDA

View Full Version : How many Hive Tools did you lose this year

The Drone Ranger
31-10-2013, 05:12 PM
I got through by only losing one
I think that's a record for me

fatshark
31-10-2013, 05:36 PM
None … as opposed to last year when I lost three.
However, during last winter - as the grass died back - I found all three of them.
In the meantime I'd also bought another couple from eBay and one from Modern Beekeeping.
I now have too many ;)

Perhaps the thread could be expanded a little … with this wide range of hive tools I know now which sort works for me.

I like these:

and these:

and consider the rest I have as an abomination.

Has anyone tried one of the "palm tools" from Thorne's? (I can't seem to embed the picture).

The Drone Ranger
31-10-2013, 11:28 PM
None … as opposed to last year when I lost three.
However, during last winter - as the grass died back - I found all three of them.
In the meantime I'd also bought another couple from eBay and one from Modern Beekeeping.
I now have too many ;)

Perhaps the thread could be expanded a little … with this wide range of hive tools I know now which sort works for me.

Yep It's a dumb title for a thread just general season gone by chat really
I usually just stick with the J type from Thornes there are some oversize ones on Ebay which are not so good

rogerb
01-11-2013, 12:57 PM
just one, the present one being tied to me with a bit of baler twine, this could be the answer.......?......

madasafish
01-11-2013, 03:49 PM
None
I sprayed mine bright yellow.

The Drone Ranger
01-11-2013, 03:57 PM
rogerb might hav a point but as soon as I untie it the tool would dissapear
By the way nice to have you posting on the forum rogerb

madasafish the one I lost was yellow but it still managed to stay hidden somewher in the grass jungle surrounding the hives :)

Would one of these work its a pet locator
Overkill ??

fatshark
01-11-2013, 09:40 PM
Two of the ones I lost were yellow.
I'm going to try blue this winter.

Yes DR … overkill. You need a metal detector like this bloke looking for a lost hive tool:

Terrible forage around his apiary ...

The Drone Ranger
02-11-2013, 12:11 AM
Hey Fatshark
That might help me find all those metal mouseguards I have lost as well

Jon
02-11-2013, 12:16 AM
Fatshark. If that is you you need to cut down on the pies.

fatshark
02-11-2013, 09:13 AM
Fatshark. If that is you you need to cut down on the pies.

I have ... I'm now a shadow of my former self:

I'm still balding though, hence the baseball cap. Not so sure I like the Langstroths and you'll notice the forage around the apiary is still rubbish.

DR ... If you're losing mouseguards around your apiary it must look like Borneo. A machete might be appropriate or a liberal dosing with this:

The Drone Ranger
02-11-2013, 10:18 AM
It is like a jungle apart from little patches where each hive stand is
The rest of the field gets the topping mower once a year
The bit where the bees are is sheltered by the shoulder high plant growth in summer and looks very rough
Bit of a wildlife haven though :)
Thought I spotted a rabbit wearing mouseguard earrings the other day

Jon
02-11-2013, 10:58 AM
I have ... I'm now a shadow of my former self:

Well done on the diet - but ease up on the Tai Chi. You will be burying cowhorns at midnight next, in a quest to synchronize your queen rearing with the moon cycles.

gavin
02-11-2013, 10:59 AM
I have ... I'm now a shadow of my former self: .....

LOL! I always imagined you to be more like this character, perhaps after a visit to the barbers and maybe with more of the locks on the top of the head singed off by too-vigorous use of the smoker on these mixed-up southern bees?

http://www.rehanu.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/Sir+Richard+Branson+Hosts+Virgin+Charter+Event+77S Q_u0mJs3l.jpg

fatshark
02-11-2013, 11:32 AM
Damn ... rumbled. Anyone want to use my island (http://www.neckerisland.virgin.com) for AMM queen rearing?

The Drone Ranger
02-11-2013, 04:51 PM

spot the hive :)

That was easy now lets try spot the hive tool