PDA

View Full Version : BeeKeeper of the Year 2013

Blackcavebees
08-10-2013, 01:40 AM
A big congratulation to our own "Jon" who was awarded UBKA Beekeeper of the Year 2013 on Friday night.

Given his work at association level, local queen rearing group lead, NIHBS Ulster rep, contributions on this forum (and being an all round helpful guy!) and his work championing the native black bee, I feel this is well deserved. Although he will probably blush when reading this and play down his role, I feel he has done more in the past 24 months to further the raising of local black queens and bees than anyone I can think of. My very first colony would have chased you out of the garden: today, thanks to Jon, they are jet black, fly in all weathers and are a pleasure to work with.

Congratulations Jonathan!

Black Comb
08-10-2013, 07:40 AM
Congratulations Jon.
He has certainly helped me with queen rearing and we have never met.
I am sure it is well deserved.

drumgerry
08-10-2013, 09:43 AM
Yep - many congratulations. Well deserved and then some! Just a shame you're not Scottish - we could do with you over here!

gavin
08-10-2013, 12:31 PM
He's been the main reason this forum has settled down to be a very well-informed place (and attracted a lot more well-informed and polite people), and I thank him deeply for that. I'll give him a hug from all of us when I'm over in NI in March, and maybe buy him a wee tipple of some kind.

He'll be cringing with embarrassment at all of this, but you'll just have to put up with it Jon!

Bridget
08-10-2013, 12:52 PM
Hear hear - lots of us rely on his informed advice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

gavin
08-10-2013, 12:54 PM
Enough!! You'll scare him away .....

Jon
08-10-2013, 02:46 PM
He'll be cringing with embarrassment at all of this, but you'll just have to put up with it Jon!

I am indeed. The first I heard about it was when someone sent me a message of congrats to the BKA e-mail account.
I wasn't at the AGM.
I'll share the award with all the little black bees at the bottom of my garden and with those in the freezer which will shortly be heading to Galway University for DNA testing.
If they present me with a monocle, a 3 cornered hat and a sword of office I guess it will be worth it.

Gav, you should make your way to Athlone on 10th November for the Native Irish Honeybee Conference (http://nihbs.org/?page_id=815).

Adam
08-10-2013, 02:55 PM
A well-deserved award.

I'm not sure about the hug but a wee tipple, maybe!
Congratulations from me too.

GRIZZLY
08-10-2013, 04:48 PM
Nice one Jon. Well deserved.

prakel
08-10-2013, 05:07 PM
A very worthy recipient, it's always nice to see peers acknowledging hard work and dedication and lets be honest, if this forum had a similar honour to bestow it would be pretty certain to find it's way to the same homestead.

beejazz
08-10-2013, 07:23 PM
And me! Thank you, I have my first grafted queen in a hive, with Jon's help, and others from the SBAi

Bumble
08-10-2013, 09:30 PM
Congratulations Jon.

The Drone Ranger
08-10-2013, 09:51 PM
Well done Jon
Get the pushbike out and take lap of honour round the garden :)

Jon
08-10-2013, 10:57 PM
My garden is a jungle. No easy path through the weeds.

HJBee
10-10-2013, 06:30 AM
Well Done Jon!

Always one to offer unreserved advice & experiences.

Helena

fatshark
10-10-2013, 09:28 AM
If they present me with a monocle, a 3 cornered hat and a sword of office I guess it will be worth it.

I'm assuming you'll be wearing this for the official portrait?
Many congratulation.

Trog
10-10-2013, 09:55 AM
Well done and congratulations!

madasafish
11-10-2013, 09:22 PM
Well done - well deserved.

Neils
12-10-2013, 02:53 AM
Always late to the party.

I think it's a travesty. Beekeeper of the year! To that baldy loudmouth?!

Being serious, congratulations Jon. I think it's well deserved. You've done amazing work over the past couple of years, not only for your own association but by passing on your knowledge and experience to others too via this forum and beyond.

Jon
12-10-2013, 02:44 PM
Thanks, you jumped up hirsute Bristol popinjay.

keith pierce
14-10-2013, 11:41 AM
Thanks, you jumped up hirsute Bristol popinjay.

Well done Jon. You certainly have done Trojan work for beekeeping in Ireland. I knew that there was a greatness inside you and I always felt humbled in your presence.

Jon
14-10-2013, 02:40 PM
away on with you ye Dublin eejit!!
You going to be in Athlone on the Saturday evening?
There is a Scottish contingent coming over now as well.

keith pierce
14-10-2013, 11:53 PM
away on with you ye Dublin eejit!!
You going to be in Athlone on the Saturday evening?

I did not know there was much of a crowd staying over. it sounds very much like that you have planned a bit of a session. I think the hotel is fully booked out , but I will look for accommodation close by.

Jon
15-10-2013, 12:53 AM
Hotel has been booked out for a while. I will be staying elsewhere in Athlone and will book somewhere this week. Seem to be a few options.
Pat and Sean and a couple of others got booked in on time in the Conference hotel.

gavin
15-10-2013, 02:03 PM

There will be a brace of Scotsmen, one parachuting in and getting wheeeched out again straight afterwards due to his very busy schedule, and another staying over and on the lookout for a session of some kind.