PDA

View Full Version : Epipens ?

greengumbo
27-09-2013, 10:00 AM
Does anyone know if Epipens are prescription only ? I intended on getting a few on standby for H&S reasons at work.

Any other non-prescription medicine that might be handy to have in case of bee stings ?

wee willy
27-09-2013, 12:59 PM
In the UK I reckon the answer must be in the affirmative :)
I hope your question doesn't result in a furious argument about the merits of carrying/ deploying on third persons as has been the case on other fora :)
WW

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

gavin
27-09-2013, 01:41 PM
I'm with WW. Don't want to suggest alternative medical options but maybe there's someone out there with experience?

I do remember trying to address Risk Assessments when I was responsible for some field work involving bees, and it wasn't easy. I tried to get access to an Epipen and after much debate was told no. In the end I think that we avoided lone working and ensured that a mobile was to hand (this was in the days before we all carried them). If this is at your main workplace then just having a plan, maybe ensuring that anyone at the bees has someone aware that they are there, knowing your First Aiders and how to contact them efficiently, that sort of thing?

greengumbo
27-09-2013, 02:26 PM
I'm with WW. Don't want to suggest alternative medical options but maybe there's someone out there with experience?

I do remember trying to address Risk Assessments when I was responsible for some field work involving bees, and it wasn't easy. I tried to get access to an Epipen and after much debate was told no. In the end I think that we avoided lone working and ensured that a mobile was to hand (this was in the days before we all carried them). If this is at your main workplace then just having a plan, maybe ensuring that anyone at the bees has someone aware that they are there, knowing your First Aiders and how to contact them efficiently, that sort of thing?

Yeah that's what we have gone for. Cheers for the advice.

Bumble
02-10-2013, 10:52 PM
Any other non-prescription medicine that might be handy to have in case of bee stings ?

Would it be worth getting some non-drowsy antihistamine, and one of those gadgets that sucks the sting venom out?

kevboab
03-10-2013, 05:22 PM
Hi folks
As a trained first aider when it comes to administering epipens we are only allowed to ASSIST the owner of the epipen in administering the drug. Administering drugs without consent could leave you wide open if anything ever went wrong.

fatshark
03-10-2013, 05:59 PM
Coming to this a bit late I'm afraid GG. I took some bees in to work for a public display and had to prepare a risk assessment. Epipens were discussed but rejected for reasons as above and widely raised elsewhere. In the end it was very straightforward.

Our safety officer suggested having a lit smoker handy ... I refused this on the grounds that the risk assessment for it was much longer than the one for the bees.

Easy beesy
04-10-2013, 08:21 PM
Ibuprofen gel works well on taking away itch and swelling

Bumble
05-10-2013, 11:52 AM
Isn't Ibuprofen linked with a bad reaction to stings for some people, or is that just the tablets, or have I got it completely wrong?

Easy beesy
05-10-2013, 02:06 PM
I think you're thinking of when it's taken orally, but then I'm no doctor - you could be right.