PDA

View Full Version : Thorne Centenary Sale

fatshark
28-07-2013, 08:30 AM
A quick heads up for those running out of kit ... Thorne have a sale on today and tomorrow. A rather small range of items but useful nevertheless.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

drumgerry
28-07-2013, 09:10 AM
Well I'm just running out of my first ever box of gimp pins (which has lasted 9 years!) so the order is in plus of course a few other things. Some decent bargains there if you get a move on.

gavin
28-07-2013, 10:04 AM
Do you like their gimp pins? I find that even my lightweight hammer and softwood frame parts conspire to break over 10% of them. Must be rather brittle.

Sent from my BlackBerry 8520 using Tapatalk

The Drone Ranger
28-07-2013, 10:15 AM
Do you like their gimp pins? I find that even my lightweight hammer and softwood frame parts conspire to break over 10% of them. Must be rather brittle.

Sent from my BlackBerry 8520 using Tapatalk
That started a few years ago before that they just bent
I find them brittle
The heads drop off after they are in
They break at the least provocation

brecks
28-07-2013, 10:37 AM
I bought frame seconds earlier this year from Thornes, but found more than 50% were not fit for purpose - huge knots in top bars and side bars and about 10% bent like bananas - expensive kindling. I will never buy seconds again unless I can examine them before purchase.

Black Comb
28-07-2013, 11:35 AM
Apart from frames, I think they are not offering much.

drumgerry
28-07-2013, 11:41 AM
Oh well I've bought 500g of them now Gavin so I'll be putting up with them for a while I guess. My old gimp pins were by Challenge and are pretty much as you describe the Thornes ones.

Re frames I might be the only one who considers them relatively disposable. Not too fussed about knots and I really don't see the point in paying for firsts. Can't say as Thornes seconds are any worse than those by say C Wynne Jones and I've found them to be pretty much all usable. Not sure that we need to have the standards of fine cabinetry applied to frames! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

fatshark
28-07-2013, 11:47 AM
The first (and last) lot of second quality frames I bought were largely OK structurally ... the problem was the groove in the side bars was nothing like central. There's only so many cell bars any one person needs!

Not much in the sale, but I ordered broods and supers. The former to replace my ply boxes which are really tatty now - lots of bait hives for next year. The supers are to make up the numbers and save me scrounging them in the next good year.

GRIZZLY
28-07-2013, 12:02 PM
Brecks, I had the same experience with Thornes seconds - 50 % not even fit for firewood. Do what I did and complain to Gill Smith. She replaced the faulty ones with much better seconds .

The Drone Ranger
28-07-2013, 02:54 PM
The first (and last) lot of second quality frames I bought were largely OK structurally ... the problem was the groove in the side bars was nothing like central. There's only so many cell bars any one person needs!

Not much in the sale, but I ordered broods and supers. The former to replace my ply boxes which are really tatty now - lots of bait hives for next year. The supers are to make up the numbers and save me scrounging them in the next good year.

Yes a few knots is one thing but the groove not lining up was/is a nightmare pain in the